Thursday, March 17, 2022

Quintessential Cardigan

I love words. I love knowing what they mean, how and where they originated, the images they conjure and most of all that we have so many words to describe how we experience our world.

I am in the process of knitting a sweet little sweater for myself called the Quintessential Cardigan. The word "quintessence" is one of my top 20 favorite words! The first entry in Webster's Dictionary defines quintessence as: "the fifth and highest element in ancient and medieval philosophy that permeates all nature and is the substance composing the celestial bodies." WOW!


The yarn I've chosen for the first incarnation of this sweater is an amazing Scarlet. My blocked swatch is everything I hoped it would be - soft next to my skin, amazing hand and perfect drape. It is lightweight but will be cozy and warm. Plus, the color lifts my spirit just looking at it, which helps stave of the I'm-ready-for-winter-to-be-over doldrums. Knitting with it will be an  absolute joy.



So while I'm knitting this darling sweater I will imbue every single stitch with this meaning and when it's complete it will envelop me in celestial wonderment. What more could a woman ask for from a sweater? 

Follow this link if you want to get your own Quintessential Cardigan pattern from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas!

No comments: